November 12, 2011

Karen's Story

Karen: 


"As a CSU freshman in 2007, I thought I had all I could ever want in college - the boys, the parties, the endless "craziest night ever" stories, and still the good grades, the church attendence, and the good reputation to go with it. So why did I feel so empty? I was proud to be a chameleon that could blend seamlessly into any environment; I was master of the good-girl/ bad-girl game. It wasn't until I became involved in FOCUS that I realized the problem: I spent so much time acting that I wasn't even sure who I really was.
I joined a FOCUS Bible study because my sister had told me to. I had no idea how invested in me my Bible study leader, and later the FOCUS missionaries, were ready to become. These were not my party friends, who could care less about me when we weren't drinking or gossiping. These were people who wanted to know me, and who wanted me to know God. These were people who would call me out when they saw through my acting, because they knew I was only fooling myself. The community I found through FOCUS helped me to realize how much God really cared for me, and who He really intended for me to be.
Three years later as a senior, I actually have better grades and crazier stories. The men and women I trust are holy, and we don't just attend church - we live the Mass. I now lead a Bible study and two discipleships through FOCUS. Through these, it is always my hope to share the love that was shared with me, that the girls I now invest in may come to know their true identities as daughters of God."

Written by Alicia Bowen, Missionary at Colorado State University

No comments:

Post a Comment